Wednesday, August 11, 2010

From Couch Potato to Double Zumba

4 months ago I was a total and complete couch potato.  Not only did I never exercise, I could barely walk to the corner without stopping to rest.  Everything hurt when I had to walk somewhere including my back and knees.  Somewhere around my 42nd birthday, I went to the doctor for a check-up.  The doctor had some startling words for me.  Of course, I had heard all of it before, "Lose weight, exercise, blah, blah, blah."  We talked about my family history of heart disease.  Nothing really settled into my consciousness until she said, "Your father died at age 40 from a heart attack.  You are 42."  This was very sobering to hear so I decided to do something about it.  I was a 'walking heart attack waiting to happen.' 

I had lost weight on Weight Watchers before but regained it. I had exercised but always hated it.  The gym was so boring. I was too out of shape to attempt joining any kind of sports team, even a recreational one.  I lived in a beautiful neighborhood but any walk I took outside always ended up at the bakery or pizza store.  So I was desperate for a new form of exercise.  I looked on the Weight Watchers Facebook group for ideas for exercise.  Someone on this FB group wrote about the joyfulness of Zumba.  Exercise=joyfulness??? I was convinced it was a typo.  But, I went ahead and sent the poster a message.  I will be eternally grateful always to this individual, Christie Hoffman, for introducing me to Zumba.  Christie told me how much fun Zumba was and how much she looked forward to it.  After talking with Christie, I decided to give it a try.

Conveniently enough, there was a place right near my doctor's office that offered Zumba, the Joy of Motion Dance Center.  Hmmm, more joy.  I was still unconvinced but I went ahead and called.  I was so scared I would be too out of shape, or uncoordinated or too big to even attempt Zumba.  The woman I spoke with at the studio could not have been nicer or more encouraging.  She encouraged me to come and do my best.  I was reassured when I hung up the phone but began to panic within about 2 seconds.  I decided to ask a friend to come with me to the first class.  I proceeded to make her promise about 30 times that she would not cancel on me.  Seriously, I was petrified! 

The day of the first class arrived.  I remember driving there thinking, "I can still give up this crazy idea!" Somehow, I made it to the dance studio even though every instinct I had was telling me to flee.  I opened the door to the dance studio and the first thing I see is two flights of stairs.  Ack! I struggled up the steps, arriving out of breath to check in for the class.  My friend arrived and we huddled in the hallway.  I kept thinking, "I can still go home and eat a hot fudge sundae." But my friend and I went in the class.  I stood in the very back, near the door. Did I mention how SCARED I was? 

The teacher, Tanya, introduced herself to the class and began the warm-up.  About 5 minutes into class, I was convinced I would pass out.  Everything was hurting, and I was barely following along.  Even though I was struggling, I was shocked to admit to myself I was having fun.  Tanya danced with such enthusiasm and joyfulness. It was impossible not to get caught up in the excitement.  I loved the music that Tanya played too.  I could not breathe and was dripping in sweat, but could not stop moving.  I was exercising and happy? This did not compute.  After the class was over, I went up to thank Tanya for the great workout.  Um, I was thanking her for what now??

The date of that first Zumba class was four months ago.  I have fallen totally and completely in love with Zumba.  Although I was pretty sure I needed an EMT and a stretcher after that first class, I have worked my way up to taking 7 Zumba classes a week.  Last week, I took 3 double Zumba classes. I take Zumba with two great teachers now, Tanya and Elena.  I have many adventures along the way and have been requested to write a Zumba blog.  If anyone has any questions, please let me know. Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. WTG Jen! Keep up the awesome work.....you forgot to mention how many sizes smaller your bathing suit was for your most recent trip as a result of all your hard work!

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen you are an inspiration to us all. When the Step class I was taking was cancelled, your enthusiasm has inspired me to try Zumba. I am a little uncoordinated but am getting better with the moves. The important thing is am having fun while getting a great cardio workout. An added bonus is I’m reconnecting with old friends while meeting new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful, very inspirationsal. I love my Zumba classes too, but have let it slide over the summer. But your little story has sparked the desire to get back to some salsa in the studio. I'm on vacation for 2 weeks, but when I get back, my hips and I are going to start shaking things up again:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for you Jen! There is nothing like finding that thing that really works for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspiring story, Jennifer! I can see how Zumba has changed your life! Since you started your enthusiastic Zumba updates on FB, I requested that we start a Zumba class at work...and they did! And it's a very popular class that about 30-40 people attend and everyone LOVES it. I also bought the DVD's this week for use at home. In a way, now all these new people in California are enjoying Zumba because of your enthusiasm -- it is infectious! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You Rock Jennifer! You are my hero! I'm so proud of you, my fellow f'ing bear :)

    ReplyDelete